- Visit Places That You Enjoy — GO TO EVENTS! Whether its music festivals, self-improvement Seminars, an arts class or sporting events, whatever you enjoy; go there and talk to the people there. Get over the fact that it is uncomfortable and do it anyway, for that is where you will meet people with common interests that make it much easier to start a relationship with.
- Stay In Contact — You are assuming that it takes both sides to stay in touch, but the other person may not want to grow their connection as desperately as you want to. If you want it, then you will have to do the work. Talk to the people that are important to you at least once a week or they will be gone.
- Plan Events — Stop waiting for someone else to invite you and become the person that plans all the trips and events themselves. Then invite your friends and have some amazing experiences together. That is what strengthens your bonds. It’s best if you create a wide array of experiences with the people you want to connect with.
- Talk Positively About Them — Behind the scenes you should put in as much effort as you can to talk them up. People enjoy those around who support them, which is why you are looking for a supportive Network too. Keep amping them up to your friends and theirs.
- Focus On Them Initially — No one really cares what you have to say at first. The best thing to do is to focus on them and keep learning about them until they ask you something. If no one asks you to share then don’t. Do this and people will become more interested in you as well.
(I highly recommend the book How to win friends and influence people — by Dale Carnegie at this point.)
- Ask others for help in personal challenges — Something that has helped me tremendously was to go out and invite a couple friends to do some challenges. Uncomfortable social challenges (such as talking to x amount of strangers or lying in the middle of a busy street) are a great excuse to get the support of your friends. At the same time you will better yourself and feel vulnerable so you need a support group and trusting others more makes them want to trust you more.
- Give More Than You Hope To Receive — That all being said, if you want all of this from them what…