When I think back to my school days I remember being cut off all the time.
I felt it had something to do with me and that others just did not like me that much, kept thinking it was unfair and that it was their fault for not letting me get a word out.
It was only later I realized that it was due to me and my changes that this stopped happening.
Here’s what changed:
- I Remained Calm — Instead of being flustered every time I got cut off I learned to accept it and moved on. Let the topic go, quiet your ego and look at the next opportunity to say something of value instead of focusing on someone cutting you off. Ending up passive aggressively does no one any good.
- I Kept The Conversation Rolling — That does not mean I kept talking but I kept in control by asking questions and leaving open ended statements for others to chime in. Take responsibility and stay in charge of the conversation if you want to have something to say. To learn more about this I highly suggest looking up “Active Listening”.
- I Thought Twice About Whether Or Not It Was Worth Saying — Instead of just blurting what came to my mind I thought twice about what I said, which usually stopped me from adding unnecessary thoughts. When you speak only give others the juicy parts of your thoughts and stories. You do not have to say something for the sake of saying something.
- I Got Into The Habit Of Speaking With More Clarity & Certainty — I waited my turn to speak and then I chimed in with a clear attitude and massive certainty. When you get serious about talking it means you have something of value to say and others will notice it. Stand tall, puff your chest out a bit and speak from your stomach the next time you talk; it will make a difference!
- I Got Energized — Nothing is more dull than talking to a person that is boring, emotionless or that is embarrassed every time they talk because they are too unsure of themselves. All of that was me until I said “Screw it” and just did and acted how I felt. With that came massive energy, which lead to real excitement and happiness. Get so charged on what you are talking about…