Write without expecting anything, do not try to write anything specific and simply write.
Most of what you create will be crap, you will scrap almost everything, but with something already created you can begin to edit and that will spark your creativity.
Have fun with it or intentionally create something terrible.
That way you get out of your own head.
Many creative blocks happen because we try too hard or expect too much of ourselves.
We feel we must create something of meaning or something with a high quality, to the point where we cannot stop thinking about it.
This act of overthinking causes us to worry, to fear and to imagine the worst case scenarios.
Nothing truly flows anymore and we stop being creative.
That is why, to get out of your own head, it is best to just say “Screw it” and dive right into your creative process.
No matter what ends up being created you are still allowing yourself to let the creativity flow.
Other than that there are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to creativity that may help:
- Stay Hydrated & Remember to Eat — Your body needs the energy.
- Stretch Every Hour — Oxygen circulates best if you move.
- Keep Fit — Creativity throws the best when you feel the best.
- Find A Better Environment — You can rarely be creative in the same spaces you find stress. Go to a café or create a space for creativity in your home.
- Take Good Breaks — Breaks to do absolutely nothing are key to allowing your creativity the room to breathe.
- Have Fun With It — Joy always creates. Just look at children for proof of how creative one can be when one has fun.
- Stop Judging Yourself — Sometimes, things just do not work. That’s okay. Accept it and move on.
- Don’t Force Creativity — If you cannot be creative then move on to a different project. Hence the big text above about freeing yourself.